Monday, July 14, 2008

shopping for men's clothes

i went shorts shopping yesterday.

and, fed up with being forced to choose between ribcage-hugging grandma delux and the cellulicious thigh display, i decided to check out the men's department. after all, i like cargo pants.

my shopping mate was my husband, dually qualified because: 1: he wears men's shorts. 2: he thinks i look hot in anything.

the chronicles of narnia action scene music provided an inspiring soundtrack for our adventurous mood. first we hit levi's, where we somehow ended up in the back, looking at boy's pants. confused, our confidence slightly eroded, we left. next joel suggested eddie bauer. no comment.
we drove to zumiez on joel's suggestion we try a "skater-ish"store.
have you ever been inside zumiez? just because i'm looking for boy's shorts does not mean i'm a "skulls and plaid" kind of girl.

desperate, hot, and hungry, we stopped at pacsun for a last ditch try. (clarifying, i hadn't actually tried on anything at this point.) i marched past the tiny, perfectly dressed faux-surfer girls and picked out a likely pair of floppy tan cargos with a useless striped belt.

once in the dressing room, i realized that i shouldn't have taken my darling husband's word on the size. the dear man forgot that i have hips. after [ahem] a number of size trials, i settled on something i could live with. i won't be sharing that size, since i'd rather not have my hips compared to those of my readership's skinny husbands.

overall, i consider my first experience shopping for men's clothes a smashing success. i doubt if i'll be going back to women's shorts anytime soon. i just have to keep reminding myself that the little number isn't really my waist size....

4 comments:

Jon and Erin said...

What can I say...sometimes guys clothes are just more fun to wear! I still have a hard time with pants/short too. My best finds have been at Goodwill. I don't even know where I'd go to get NEW shorts!

Kristi said...

I think that shorts are the hardest thing to shop for! I wear a lot of skirts in the summer because of this. I've found that kohls sometimes has a good selection and they're pretty well priced. My favorite kind of shorts right now are the knee length ones. They don't show the farm and they don't ride up embarassingly when your thighs rub together. =) Good luck if you continue to try again!

lani said...

erin- i agree! i love my husband's tee shirts and sweatshirts, so comfy!

kristi- i'm in skirts and light dresses most of the summer too - they dress up or down so nicely, and are way more flattering. no men's dept. for those!!!

kristal said...

lani...you put words to frustrations so many women have had...and they are such beautiful words! thank you for sharing your experience with us and i think you look fabulous in anything. remember, i've been shopping with you, so i'm not just saying that:)