Monday, April 27, 2009

pontiac FAIL (ftw)

i'm feeling nostalgic today.

i woke up to the voice of npr newswoman renee montagne on my alarm clock radio; she informed me and the world that pontiac is no longer. pontiac, the fabled auto maker whose name recalls the heyday of muscle cars. 82-year-old pontiac, maker of the gto judge, the firebird, the tempest ... has finally crashed.

and i exulted.

see, i don't know much about firebirds and whatnot, but my first car was a pontiac: a 1991 pontiac bonneville sedan.
it looked a lot like this:add rust, chipped paint, bailing wire (to keep the hood shut), duct tape (to keep the trunk shut), 250,000 miles on the odometer (the distance from the earth to the moon), rips in the upholstry (what uphostry?), cracks in the windshield, flatten the tires a bit, kick out the back left turn signal, and you have...

my first car! ta da!

yes, i, along with other current and former pontiac owners, am feeling the sweet sting of nostalgia as an era draws to an ungraceful close.

sayonara, pontiac.
sucks to be you.

1 comment:

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

haha, my first car was a Pontiac Sunbird 4-door sedan. I bought it for $200 bucks, and about 1.5 years later it blew up on me. Literally. Glad they're headed out, too!