Tuesday, June 23, 2009

details

detail posts are my favorite. we'll remember the big things we did on a trip, but it's the little things that are so special.

we did lots of fun little things on this trip - joel was accomodating enough to drive me down quite a few memory lanes, even though nostalgia isn't really his thing.

we visited his old high school during graduation - that was fun - and i managed to capture this shot of the auditorium where he sang and danced a number of school musicals. i'm actually rather proud of this picture - it's taken with my point&shoot through a heavily tinted window. :)

joel took me to his old church on my first trip down, over five years ago.
the lower level of this house is a small apartment where joel and his mom lived during some of his elementary years ...
... and during that time he attended this school. :)
community college (taken leaning across the driver's seat through the window of a moving car - he refused to stop in traffic for me to frame the shot, and i refuse to crop it.) :P can you believe he only had to pay $17/credit?!? and i was up in oregon paying $70 for community college credits?!? (well, actually, when joel was in community college i was 12 and spending most of my time playing piano and babysitting, but still!)we enjoyed a lovely tuesday night dinner with joel's grandparents and cousin morgan, and i fully intended to take photos. hmph. if you're curious what they look like, see december 2008.

tuesday was a great day - it included several non-crowded beaches, a highly informative lecture on footware from a birkenstock man, and shakes from crystal cove shake shack.

one of my absolute favorite details of this trip involved an issue with my migraine prevention medication. i take a drug called topamax, a neurological nightmare that prevents my daily migraines and always seems to find new and fascinating ways to mess with my brain. i made a slight change in the medication right before we left, so for most of the trip i experienced highly amusing neurological symptoms such as itching, tingling, forgetting words, and a complete inability to express a coherent thought without excessive stuttering.

my positivity toward these symptoms may seem sarcastic, but let me assure you, i am perfectly genuine. when i cannot even remember words like "playoffs" and "yellow," there is no approach but to laugh. my favorite instance came when i suggested to joel that we use a bazooka on something, but instead of bazooka, i said "bakooza." the poor man thought i was referring to some type of water gun!

and of course ... our trip had to end. the handel's messiah bells in redding bid us goodbye from the land of sun and palm trees, and a glorious southern oregon sunset brought our trip to a close.

(actually that's not true. watching "finding nemo" on the laptop to stay awake until we rolled in at 12:50am brought our trip to a close. but the sunset thing sounds better.)

4 comments:

Staci said...

Ok so wait. I think I need to know how you two met and how much older he is than you.

Please tell... I'd love to know.

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

Yes, Lani, do tell! I agree with Staci, it's a story that must be told. :)

@Staci-I'm Lani's friend, Heidi (in real life, not cyberspace). Nice to officially meet you! :)

Lani, I am so happy you had such a great trip, I can't wait to see you guys soon.

lani said...

ok ok ok
we're coming up on our 5th anniversary this year. i'll try to do a cute post or series with pictures. (because i HAVE to have pictures!) ;)

kristal said...

so glad you had a great trip! tell joel he's awesome for taking you down his memory lane. it means a lot to us wives. thanks for the pics!